Pages

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Week 3: The Great Outdoors

I went to the store this week prepared for the worst. I took a book with me to have something to read as I stood in the queue to enter the shop. Somehow, the queue moved rapidly and I hardly noticed being in it. The store staff worked well on moving people along and letting people in as soon as others left the store. I wish shoppers would organise as well!

You could tell things were different. The floor was made into zones with a clever use of duck tape and each had an arrow pointing out the direction shoppers should go. This was to implement social distancing and to keep people 2 meters away from each other. However, the theme of this week has been ignorance.

I tried to keep to the designated space I was in, waiting for people in front of me to move along but after several other shoppers going past myself, reaching shelves over my cart and going the opposite way, I too gave up on social distancing. I didn't want to spend an additional hour, trying to follow the rules which others made it difficult to try. Imagine waiting for the person in front of you to pick something off the shelf and move further along, only for that lady to move into your space and browse the shelves. I could either ignore her or move back. All in all, at one point it felt I was the only one doing my part.

Sadly, even when going to and from the shop, you could see people blatantly ignoring the lockdown. During this period you're not supposed to venture outside unless necessary. I can understand seeing a person with a backpack on a bike, clearly going to the shop, but instead I saw a family of four going for a bike ride around town. I walked past some teens filming their parkour session on some steps. There were elderly people casually sitting on public benches having a smoke or beverage from a paper cup.

We're supposed to limit the spread of this virus by staying at home and practicing social distancing but instead we've got groups of people who think it's best to go to the beach or park because the weather is nicer outside. If only this virus could have been more considerate and strike in winter when everyone was indoors to begin with.

In other news, I'm feeling loads better and am in the process of putting life back together. I have finally disassembled my desktop and cleaned all the fans of dust. I had to go to the garden to do it and took Artemis with me. She was a bit overwhelmed and I had to tie her up to a tree as she was not fond of the sound the can with compressed air was making.

The idea for next week is to continue with sorting myself and the flat out.

No comments: